Finegold Alexander was recently featured in Forbes’ article highlighting our The First Church of Christ, Scientist project. The church’s two historic worship spaces, the Romanesque Revival Mother Church Original (TMCO) dating back to 1894 and the Mother Church Extension (TMCX) dating back to 1906, are undergoing a multi-phased renovation effort, anticipated to be wrapped up in 2022. In 2016, Finegold Alexander Architects, with a focused team of consultants, was selected to develop and lead a multi-phased comprehensive plan for the repair, restoration and maintenance of TMCO and TMCX. In the article, Principal-in-Charge Regan Shields Ives AIA, ALEP, LEED AP elaborates on the ongoing interior efforts.
“Our goal was to refresh the building, yet leave no trace of our work, so that it looks as it did when it was originally completed in 1894 in the Original edifice and 1906 for the Extension.” – Regan Shields Ives
The restoration includes repairing extensive water damage of interior plaster and associated decorative painting, replacement of cotton wrapped electrical wiring and associated plaster trench repairs, upgrade of fire and life-safety device to meet current code and analysis of accessibility requirements. On the exterior, the building envelope was restored, involving exterior masonry replacement and repairs, waterproofing walls and roofing, replacement of terracotta roofing and window repairs. Following project completion, anticipated to be in 2022, the largest privately-owned, yet publicly accessible space in Boston’s extension will be open to the public once again.
Read the Forbes article here!