Two weeks ago, Principals Ellen Anselone, AIA, LEED, and Tony Hsiao, AIA, LEED AP, and Senior Associate Josephine Penta, AIA LEED AP, NCARB, attended the Massachusetts Library Association Conference, Making Waves! We enjoyed two days of catching up with colleagues, meeting new faces, and playing our library lovers' crossword puzzle. The crossword winners are Greg Dachille, Lindsey Gazlay, Kate Spalding, Sarah Ward, Michelle Ryan, and Maura Deedy! Be on the lookout for your custom box of chocolate truffles from Ben and Bill's Chocolate Emporium on Cape Cod! (See below for crossword answers!)
For over 50 years, Finegold Alexander has been providing architectural and design services to library clients for MBLC Grant Funding feasibility studies and for full design for new and renovated buildings. We know how to meet the requirements and guidelines for successful MBLC projects!
We know that libraries and how they are used by the public has changed in recent years, which is reflected in many more community-driven opportunities. At the MLA Conference, we checked in, talked, and did a lot of listening as well.
Trends we are seeing in today’s library designs that inform our work are:
- More public meeting places, study rooms, and activities geared to community outreach
- New and varied seating configurations
- Technology supporting multiple ways for individuals to engage with their libraries
- Maximizing the flow of information to patrons
- Public libraries as community heart—with literacy, ESOL, citizenship, and other programs—working with local institutions for life-long learning, project-based activities, and meetings
- Sustainability: library design can model ways for the community to reduce energy consumption
- Flexibility in the way spaces are used
We enjoyed sharing our projects and expertise for library design at the MLA Conference 2023!
Click here to learn more about our library experience!