Alice K. Wolf Center
FA worked with the City of Cambridge to transform the historic Cambridge Police Headquarters into an open, collaborative environment for three distinct community service agencies: the Cambridge Housing Authority, the Multi-Service Center and the Community Learning Center. The 1933 building—with its near original mechanical systems and low ceiling heights—had stood empty since 2008. The exterior was completely restored, including original copper roof details. All spaces were made accessible. Natural daylight and ventilation were provided for all the occupants, providing a calming environment for the building’s service providers as well as the community members they serve.
“It’s a win-win-win-win”
Richard Rossi, former Cambridge City Manager
FA devised a plan to capture and open the original closed core of the building, creating gathering spaces and a skylit open stair for the Cambridge Housing Authority offices.
“We were able to remain in Central Square which is a benefit [to our clients and staff], and that’s a big thing because we could not duplicate this anywhere else in Central Square in today’s market.”
Greg Russ, former Executive Director, Cambridge Housing Authority