226 Causeway Street
Originally constructed in 1906 for the Austin Biscuit Company, 226 Causeway Street was essentially dormant since the 1980's until Intercontinental Developer’s revival. Finegold Alexander created a mixed-use complex for the existing building and a new six-story roof top addition. The adaptive reuse of The Causeway included 170,000 square feet of office space, 108 residential units, 20,000 square feet of retail space, and interior and exterior parking. The parking ramps, aisles,and diagonal layout are based on an efficient one-way loop system, resulting in 85 parking spaces underground. This modern addition to the historic North End has served to regenerate the upcoming area, which has recently seen a rise in mixed-use developments that accommodate life, work, and play.
“It’s a precursor of things to come in the neighborhood and acts as a model for future mixed-use developments in this up-and-coming area”
- Nick Iselin, Director of Development and Construction for Intercontinental Real Estate Corporation
Until the mid-1980’s, the building house baking, warehousing, administration, and shipping operations for Stop& Shop, a major supermarket chain. Because of the building’s age and multiple previous uses, the restoration process presented many challenges. The entire inside of the building had to be shelled out through selective demolitions, and an extra thirty-six windows were cut out of the existing brick structure. These updates however, ultimately allowed for a cohesive combination of historic and modern architecture.
The design recognizes the original six-story base by integrating its materials and scale into the first three stories of the six-story addition. The top three floors utilize a gently curving contemporary curtain wall as a contrast to the massive base.